"I have been working with several school districts to create healthier school environments by helping them improve their vending machines, concession stands and offer healthy class-room celebration snacks or non-food rewards. It has been great to know of an excellent resource to go to as well -- the Dakota Medical Foundation website! Thanks for all your hard work in making schools, the workplace, and community a healthier place!"
--- Kristy Singlestad, RD | Health Educator
For more information about Burn to Learn, see www.makinghealtheasier.org and to learn how your school can implement a comprehensive school physical activity plan, see Let's Move in School.
Healthy People Initiative has information and resources to help you become a healthier school. This includes assessment tools for your wellness policy and resources for implementation.
The Healthy People Initiative helps schools by proving a free external review and rating of wellness policies, guidance and support in improving policies, plus a wealth of ideas and best practices we have found through our work with schools. Educational events and forums are also provided for school administration and staff.
The following resources can help you access, revise, and implement your wellness policy.
- Be a model environment in which children can learn, live, eat and play for a healthy future.
- Free our schools of junk food and sweetened beverages and remove financial reliance on their sale.
- Search for opportunities to achieve 60 minutes of physical activity per day.
- Create lunches built on a variety of fruits and vegetables and whole grains.
- Help parents gain knowledge and parenting skills around healthy eating and active living.
- Contact the Healthy People Initiative for guidance in making your school a healthy place.
Wellness Policy Assessment and Planning